Caster Gauntlet [D&D3.5ed]

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Re: Caster Gauntlet [D&D3.5ed]

Post by Reverend Red on Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:19 pm

At least we have all the rolls and such if anyone wishes to see them, just need to find them from the long log...

The gnome has cast only one spell as of now.

However, a lot of problems may arise from the choice of tactics. I can see the following points brought up by the opponents:
-The character is not "just a caster," but a specific, highly broken and breakable build that abuses mechanics and therefore does not represent the actual "caster."
-The character still needed someone else to do the hitting for them, therefore providing the reason for the fighter's existence.

These are just some things people are probably going to bring up.

Admin

Number of posts : 181
Class : Something of a wizard
Registration date : 2009-01-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Deodanth on Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:31 pm

Was the conduct of the battle satisfactory to both parties? Any tiffs about rules? Did the dice fall in an appropriately random spread, or were there a lot of 1's and 20's to cause unexpected outcomes?
Deodanth

Number of posts : 29
Class : Rune Weaver ®
Registration date : 2009-02-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tshern on Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:35 pm

Actually, needing something to hit the foe is not a viable reason to carry a Fighter around, because everyone can hit. When you paralyze the foe you can just coup de grace it, while having a Fighter actively drains your resources and experience points. In a short, noncasters are loot sinks while summons are free.

And so far I could've done a lot of things differently. Kept myself invisible at all times, walking around with Hide in plain sight and just mauling the crap out of all the foes, but I'd probably be resting right now after the fourth encounter.

Something worth noting: I have cast Magic vestment and Superior resistance today, but only in combat spell was the Shadow Greater Dragon ally. Best of all, I am getting that Silent image back and I can nicely cast a 9th level spell from a first level slot. Echoing spell and Residual metamagic for the win.

To address Deodanth's questions: I rolled fairly good initiatives in the two first fights, but after that it really calmed down. In the final fight my dragon had bad time rolling attacks and from six attacks my highest roll was an eight... The main issue rules-wise was the fact that I realized my draconic aides had no listed feats and I had to get by without any. Got to get back to more traditional helpers, I suppose.
Tshern
Admin

Number of posts : 201
Class : Druid of the Coast

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Reverend Red on Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:45 pm

There weren't enough rolls to be "a lot of" anything, really. The only "a lot of" were the Frightening Presence rolls for the 10 Horned Beasts. None of them rolled a 20, though they should've rolled 20 twice to completely evade the two dragons' scariness.

All the good rolls were practically by the DM. The last full attack routine, by an ethereal dragon was something like 3,5,7,8,9,7...

The test continues, but was halted for today. It ends when the level 10 caster meets its match.

Oh and about rules tiffs? Well, I have to admit I did miss a lot of stuff towards the end (had my pitiful concentration spread thin and wide) but luckily, Tshern reminded me of stuff, such as the Hamatula's DR, which didn't matter at all.

Admin

Number of posts : 181
Class : Something of a wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tshern on Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:00 pm

I am actually considering entering a noncaster as well.

Perhaps something like this: Warblade 1/Hit and Run Fighter 2/Feat Rogue 2/Crusader 1/Swordsage 2/Crusader 1/Warblade 1.

AoO-machine with some charging capabilities. 28 point buy makes this a a challenge indeed, but I could pull it off. Saves ought to be good because Swordsage save counters, I'd also grab Shadow jaunt and if possible Dance of the spider.
Tshern
Admin

Number of posts : 201
Class : Druid of the Coast

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2