A rant on SR

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Re: A rant on SR

Post by MisterSinister on Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:01 am

Reverend Red wrote:I personally see all this streamlining shit to be way overrated. None of us would be playing the damn game if it was oversimplified, in which case it could be argued that we'd be playing 4e.

Ok, so you're basically saying "I don't want this game to work properly or efficiently, I wanna bog people down in needless details for the sake of systemic preservation." Seriously, that's akin to saying "No, I don't wanna fix ME, because although that would make it better, it wouldn't be ME anymore." If you're channeling your inner Kev Siembieda, you're doing a very good job.

Reverend Red wrote:Jol's great SR suggestion does make sense, but it also requires work from the DM who'd be working the numbers right. When using the percentage fix, you'd just have to readjust SR whimsically, which again sort of reduces its point, though might bring balance.

I would rather do ALL the work to fixing something ONCE than have to deal with the nonsense a stupid system provides many times. Your argument is fairly odd to consider, since you're arguing that on-the-spot fixing is both less work (which is fallacious), and the fact that fixing in general is whimsical and reduces the point of what is being fixed (which is not true in either case).

Furthermore, balance isn't just important to a game system, it is VITAL. Lack of balance inhibits play experience, frustrates both players and DM, and generally creates a poor environment within which the collective stories that are DnD are told. If you believe that this is not important, then I really, really have trouble understanding why.

Reverend Red wrote:What irks me about fucking around with the game system is that you sort of lose the globality of the game. Meaning, you stop playing D&D3.5e, which sort of defeats the fun of sucking in all the good of the game. I might be just letting verbal farts out of my fingers, but I think all the bad and all the good of the game are a whole, and even if, for example, the Tomes do a lot of good things, they're still changing said game. I know, you're going to say that "well their game is better, why not play that instead?" But there's a philosophy of a global game when you're playing by the book, it's like the difference between a free Ultima Online server, and the commercial one.

Dude, what you have just said is a pile of giant frog. You're saying that, somehow, DnD is some kind of global phenomenon. It isn't. It never WAS. The whole premise of the game is that it CANNOT be played as-written, and has been since 1E. The bad of the game is just that, BAD. You don't wanna preserve it - you wanna solve it and make it a better game. Your globality argument makes no sense, because DnD is NOT an MMO - it is fully limited to your circle of friends or co-gamers as far as that is concerned. This is why the RPGA is such an utter failure - it not only doesn't know its own system, it doesn't seem to get that DnD is a highly personalised phenomenon and requires fixing to work at all. There IS no global game philosophy, because playing by the book is IMPOSSIBLE.

Reverend Red wrote:I think I didn't write anything sensible, so I'll come back and elaborate when I'm not so entirely tired.

Yeah, you did write a lot of giant frog drivel. However, hopefully, you see why I rant and rave so much about system balance - because without it, DnD is a broken mess of subsystems that impede, not encourage, good play. Furthermore, playing "by the book" is literally not possible - there are way, way, WAAAAY too many stupid things going on, and the very reason the game requires a DM is partly because it's not balanced at all. If you think the system should generate more work for the DM for the sake of systemic preservation, I sure as hell don't wanna DM for you.
avatar
MisterSinister

Number of posts : 73
Age : 30
Location : New Zealand, and loving it.
Class : Archivist
Registration date : 2009-02-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: A rant on SR

Post by Tshern on Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:09 am

More thoughts on the play by the book argument: Reverend Red himself heavily houserules his games and says that every time he runs a game. Banning material mid-game, altering how spells work and simply removing options from the very beginning are all houserules. Nothing wrong with houserules, just that it is a big double standard to advocate rules as written while running games with several houserules.

_________________
Gratitude is a sickness suffered by dogs.
avatar
Tshern
Admin

Number of posts : 201
Age : 30
Location : The Golden Town
Class : Druid of the Coast
Registration date : 2009-01-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: A rant on SR

Post by MisterSinister on Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:11 am

Tshern wrote:More thoughts on the play by the book argument: Reverend Red himself heavily houserules his games and says that every time he runs a game. Banning material mid-game, altering how spells work and simply removing options from the very beginning are all houserules. Nothing wrong with houserules, just that it is a big double standard to advocate rules as written while running games with several houserules.

Yep, Kev Siembieda. Definitely. Razz
avatar
MisterSinister

Number of posts : 73
Age : 30
Location : New Zealand, and loving it.
Class : Archivist
Registration date : 2009-02-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: A rant on SR

Post by Tshern on Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:16 am

The Rifts dude?

_________________
Gratitude is a sickness suffered by dogs.
avatar
Tshern
Admin

Number of posts : 201
Age : 30
Location : The Golden Town
Class : Druid of the Coast
Registration date : 2009-01-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: A rant on SR

Post by MisterSinister on Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:18 am

Tshern wrote:The Rifts dude?

Yes, indeedy. This sounds like the exact attitude he would take, and indeed, HAS taken, with Rifts.
avatar
MisterSinister

Number of posts : 73
Age : 30
Location : New Zealand, and loving it.
Class : Archivist
Registration date : 2009-02-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: A rant on SR

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum